Department: Burlington, VT
Employment Type: Full Time
ABC22 & FOX44 serving Vermont, Northern New York, Southern New Hampshire, and Southern Quebec is looking for a dynamic Chief Meteorologist. The ideal candidate will have experience and a passion for forecasting weather in New England for all platforms in a manner that is clear, engaging and meaningful to viewers. The Burlington/Plattsburgh news market thrives on local weather coverage. Weather plays a huge role in our communities, not only in the day-to-day, but in a region that is largely dependent on recreation and agriculture. The Chief Meteorologist will aggressively utilize our weather system to inform viewers during severe weather both on-air and online. Burlington, VT truly experiences four seasons, and is continually ranked among the top markets for quality of life.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Produces and presents weather reports for all platforms.
• Responds to breaking and/or severe weather events and other urgent newsrooms situations as required.
• Trains and coaches fellow meteorologists.
• Assists in writing, copy editing, researching and coordinating weather programming and other content.
• Participates in promotional activities including public appearances.
Requirements & Skills:
• Bachelor's degree in Meteorology, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work related experience.
• Hold AMS Seal of Approval or CBM status.
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Ability to identify the developmental needs of others and to coach, mentor or otherwise help others to improve their knowledge or skills.
• Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment.
• Fluency in English.
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
The Chief Meteorologist must be able to sit, conduct telephone conversations, use electronic mail, write letters and memos, conduct face-to-face discussions with individuals or groups, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, work in close proximity to others, work outdoors occasionally in all weather conditions, and work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions. In addition, the Meteorologist must be able to lift, set up and operate equipment weighing up to 25 pounds, and be able to handle, control or feel objects, tools or controls. Repetitive movements are required. Work may be conducted in extremely bright or inadequate lighting conditions.
|Apply Now Return to Jobs Page|